Monday, August 10, 2009

"ali"gator turns the big o-n-e

ali officially became a one year old on August 8th.

yesterday we had a party for her... cake, ice cream, and an excuse to get together with wonderful friends. that picture above is what happens when one of your friends happens to be a professional photographer, who just happens to have brought her trusty camera along. (thanks again val.) I am sure you will easily separate which pictures were my handy work, and which were hers!

as for the cake...

I wanted to make an alligator for obvious reasons, but had no idea how to do that...enter my friend becca who gave me this amazing idea. so I set about making lindsey's oreo cupcakes, and collected all the neccesary items including frosting tips from becca. I had everything ready to go and attempted my first row of "scales"... crap this was going to be a disaster. enter justin, "can I try?", one row later and he officially became the cupcake frosting guru. thank goodness he stepped in, the frosting makes the cake.

then it was time for ali to be ambushed by song and completely uninterested in her candle.

dad helped out a bit with the candle...and then it was onto cake consumption.

at first she was a perfect dainty lady...

then she realized, wait this stuff is good,

really good

then she thought she would get herself some more...

or...


maybe just lather herself in green gooey goodness.

it was a great first birthday by any standard.
ali loved it, and all the people there.

happy first ali, we love you!


9 comments:

Cassi said...

I can't believe she's one! Holy cow that was fast. The cake is AMAZING! I am proud to call you my friend ;-) And I LOVE that Justin was an eager participant, that just makes the cake that much more special! Happy birthday Ali-gator

valmike said...

You must e-mail that Oreo Cupcake how-to to me! They were so good. Eryn sure had fun and I've been earing all morning about how she wants a cnother cupcake and to go play with Colton again.

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

oh that is so cute, she is a doll. and way to go on the cake. Justin has all kinds of talents huh!

Becca said...

I am so impressed with how it turned out. It looks awesome!! I am sad I didn't get back in time to see it in person!

cari said...

Great job on the cake- it looks awesome. I can't believe our babies are 1. Time flies.

jennifer casady said...

Happy Birthday Ali! I was thinking about you guys this week adn I'm glad to see that your baby girl's first birthday was a success. I LOVE the creative aligator cake. It turned out really great :)

Wendy said...

She is so stinkin' cute!

VoNique said...

That was so much fun! Thanks for the invite. And the (cup)Cake turned out fabulous!!

Ali said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS...I just found your blog (thanks for your comment), and I see this post- AMAZING! I am feeling deprived as I share her name and at times, nickname too [at least back in the day]...and I have never tasted or seen the likes of anything like this gator cupcake cake! It looks incredible. I'm exited to see your cute family and keep good tabs now :) Thank goodness for facebook reunions that lead into even better blogger relationships! haha!