Thursday, August 13, 2009

DON'T HURT MY SISTER!


ali had her one year check up at the doctor on tuesday, and it brought with it a few surprises. first of all she is in the 30th percentile for weight (19lbs) and is a bit shy of her front-facing-car-seat-weight. I was a little surprised to find out that she weighs now, what cole weighed at 6 months! further evidence to me that cole is huge. so for now it's a continued stay in the rear facing car seat. I am sure she is fine with that, she get's to face cole and she adores her big brother. and after this doctors visit it was clear that he adores her right back.

the scene played out like this: "hey do you mind if we give ali her shots before the doctor comes in?" we knew that this would no doubt make for a disastrous appointment, but really it takes like 2 minutes for her to check everything so we went with it. what we had not anticipated was that cole would be the one to have the breakdown. as the two nurses came in and laid her down and got bandaides out cole knew something was not right. then he saw the dreaded needles and nevously demanded "hey, what are you doing to her?" then he saw the needle stick and and yelled "stop that!" and then he heard ali's sobs...
"DON'T HURT MY SISTER!"

and then it was over, they left to the peaceful hallway and justin and I were left with a traumatized big brother who started bawling and saying over and over "they hurt my sister. they hurt her. they hurt ali." thankfully justin had been able to come to the appointment so I was not dealing with two traumatized children at once on my own! so we tried explaining that they were actually giving her medicine to make her all better. with huge tears rolling down his pitiful cheeks he looked up at us..."they are going to make her all better? they hurt her." I have to admit immunizations don't make much sense in 3 year old terms. we were eventually able to collect ourselves and leave, but cole continued to have his melt down and I eventually tried getting a hold of any grandma, grandpa, nana, or papa I could find since that seemed to be the only thing he had any desire to do other than worry about his baby ali. eventually I got through to justins mom and heard the first words out of cole's mouth to her "they hurt my sister". breakdowns are stressful, but I have to admit this was a tender one and justin and I kept looking at each other like awe, this is breaking my heart it's so sweet. He LOVES her for sure. and I think it's safe to say, that while they will undoubtedly have their moments of drama, ali will always have a protective older brother waiting to take on anyone who tries to hurt her.

5 comments:

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

ok heather A I am crying that is so stinking sweet. What a great big brother. he sure does love her. doesn't it melt your heart?

jennifer casady said...

Awwww...And that's why we have more than one kid. I'm sure the double trauma was not expected, but at least it made for a good memory. This reminds me of when Spencer was about 2 1/2 and we would be trying to discipline Rachael in her tantrums. Spencer would run to his room, grab the sword from the dress-ups & come to her aid by saying, "No! Nuh (his nickname for her) my FRIEND!" We couldn't help but laugh...Alas, chivilary is not dead. Way to go Cole!

valmike said...

That's going to be the story that the kids will tell each other when they're older. So amazing to see the pure honestly and love from children.

VoNique said...

That's so adorable! It made me all teary!

Wendy Babcock said...

That is so funny! I hope that they stay like that. I would think that there will be a time when he is not as fond of her. You will have to remind him of times like this. They are so darling together. I think it has a lot to do with good parenting!